This article taken from The Times Record Wednesday, September 30, 1998
HISTORY IS ALL AROUND YOU
History, for most of us, is not something that directly affects our daily lives. If it does, we're not aware of it. Most of us tend to think of history as just another class we took in school. But at
It opened on October 8, 1923. History of the school and the community is just as important to today's Hubbertville students as it was when the school was founded, every bit as much a part of their education as the history of their state, country, and world. That history is what will be celebrated on Oct. 8 when the school marks its 75th anniversary with a special celebration. The festivities will begin with a reception at 3:30 p.m. in the school library, where a slide show will be presented along with lots of school and community memorabilia. A cookout will begin at 5 p.m. in R.Wiley Hollingsworth Stadium, which is adjacent to the school building. Entertainment will start at 6 p.m. with bluegrass music and the Hubbertville band and cheerleaders among the attractions. Many Hubbertville graduates and former athletes and several honored guests are also expected. "Everyone who has attended or supported
The principal when Hubbertvi1le School opened its doors on Oct. 8, 1923 was L. G. Cantrell.
The four one-room schools were consolidated by , an act of the
The school enjoyed steady growth, and Hubbert and his wife, Mary, donated 10 more acres to the school around 1935. Their daughter, Edril Hubbert McCaleb donated the land that became the site. of the school's present gymnasium in 1966-67, and sold the school more land in 1970. Her son, Hubbert Steven McCaleb, who teaches at Hubbertville, donated three more acres to the school in 1984, increasing the total campus to 21 acres. Original plans called for
When classes started, enrollment was more than expected, so the community donated more money and more labor to make it a five-room school. The brown frame building had cedar shingles, and it housed classes for five months that first year. After Cantrell left in 1925, E.C. Herren became the schools second principal, serving from 1925 to 1927.
Community members built the new building on the same site, funded partly with $5,100 in fire insurance on the first building. The community raised over $3,000 toward the cost of the building. The new school was an l1-room white frame building constructed mainly with free labor from community members. Shortly after the building was constructed, Hubbertville applied for accreditation with the state of
Once again, the community rallied to rebuild the school. With the help of
During Wiley HoIlingsworth tenure the school also established a vocational agriculture program and, in 1959, built Mary Hubbert Hall, which was to be used at the discretion of the school for social events, school activities, and as a health enter. Caldwell Hollingsworth, a 1949 Hubbertville graduate, also oversaw many improvements to the school, including the construction of a new gymnasium, the remodeling of the old gym auditorium into the school’s current library, the construction of a new lunchroom, and a softball complex. He was also instrumental in establishing such programs at Hubbertville as Advanced Placement and instruction in foreign languages and the higher sciences and mathematics, and he was responsible for setting up the high school’s first computer lab. The elementary school was accredited by the state of
"The Hubbertville citizens of the 1920s, who dreamed of replacing the one-room frame schools in the community with a modern, comfortable facility where their children could obtain a high school education. I have lived to see their dream come true." said Mrs. Dodd. "These people possess a tremendous pride in their school which few communities can equal or surpass. "Strangers who visit
Note: The information for this story was researched arid gathered over several years by